Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Clair Makes Sweaters for Knit for Kids


Take a simple pattern and add some color.
Try some new stitches and the variations are endless!


I first heard about the Knit for Kids organization at the Candia, New Hampshire Town Meeting in March 2006. I was inspired to start knitting little sweaters for needy kids and, as you will see, over the next five years I knit a lot of them! It wasn't a big chore, and it wasn't difficult knitting to do. I just knit those little sweaters whenever I had a moment, then knit more of them when I retired and we moved to New Mexico. To my great surprise, I ended up knitting over 100 of them. 

I learned all kinds of techniques as I went along. I added different patterns and colors and almost all the sweaters were completely unique. It was a great way to try out new knitting ideas. You can download the basic pattern here

If you would like to see photos of many of the sweaters, the links are below. Please check out Knit for Kids, which is now part of the World Vision organization. All the information you need to get started is right there on the website. You might find that you love the idea of making sweaters for children you'll never meet!  

~Clair Z.










The Final Batch (bringing the grand total to 110)

No comments:

Post a Comment